OT: Enhanced IMAP protocol

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Jan 6 09:42:34 EST 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 23:47 -0800, Rob Banz wrote:
> I would argue that it's out of scope -- credential management should
> be taken care of by your credential management system, be it through a
> web interface or whatever. Even if it were to be an accepted spec, the
> chances of all of the client-writers implementing it, and in a
> reasonable way, are slim to none.

Ditto,  clients will never support such a thing.  And it wouldn't be
simple - updating credentials how?  Kerberos (which credentials?), LDAP
(which credentials?  EXOP or direct update?), PLAIN, etc....?

> I'd bet more on clients providing a reasonable interface to the IMAP
> "motd" -- which, after authentication, would be a great way to let the
> user know that their password needs to be changed.

Agree. Some way to hook in an auto-generated per-user motd would be
*sweet*.

> > Would it be practical to have common protocols like IMAP to support
> > enhanced features

It does.  Condstore, annotations, compression, ACLs, etc... and most
(all?) clients merrily ignore them.

> > The advantage is that the MUA can support change password and the user
> > experience will be a lot better having only a single familiar app to
> > deal with.

AGREE.  If only everyone used Kerberos.  And I'd like the clients to
support SRV for locating their SMTP and IMAP servers; or at least TXT
[something!]  And to support viewing and updating permissions on
folders, again, at long last.  And managing SIEVE filters.

Sadly, it is never going to happen.

OpenGroupware developer: awilliam at whitemice.org
<http://whitemiceconsulting.blogspot.com/>
OpenGroupare & Cyrus IMAPd documenation @