Sieve and encoded Headers

Ken Murchison murch at
Mon Feb 8 11:29:22 EST 2010

Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 07:53:21AM +0100, Garry wrote:
>> Hi,
>> after wondering for a while why occasionally my sieve script rules
>> wouldn't work, I just found the reason (I guess) - Sieve doesn't
>> (correctly?) decode utf encoded header lines which e.g. are in a format
>> like this:
>> Subject: =?utf-8?B?W0xPR10gV2F0Y2hsaXN0OiBzbWVhZ29sIGZvdW5kIEdydcOfIGF1cyBkZXIgVW50ZXJ3ZWx0IChVbmtub3duIENhY2hlKQ==?=
>> I'm using version: "Cyrus timsieved v2.2.13-Debian-2.2.13-19" ... is it
>> something that is fixed in a newer version? I tried finding something on
>> the net, but at least the first couple of results pages didn't yield any
>> insight ...
> No - it's not fixed in any released version.  It is fixed in the FastMail
> Cyrus patches - but it's a very invasive change to the charset encoding,
> so it's been kept out of the stable line for now.
> I've CC'd Ken on this - I wonder if it's worth going back and doing a
> "minimal still compatible" set of patches that fixes charset encoding in
> sieve without actually changing the on disk format of the cyrus.cache

It might be worth doing this for 2.3.

> But - I can tell you that we're not going to be backporting this sort of
> thing to the 2.2 series, so you'll certainly need to upgrade!

Correct.  2.2 has basically been moth-balled.

Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer
Carnegie Mellon University

More information about the Info-cyrus mailing list