Cyrus IMAPd 2.4.0 Released

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 31 04:06:00 EST 2010

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 09:37:31AM +0100, Simon Matter wrote:
> > Simon,
> >
> >> Of course I'll update our RHEL/CentOS RPMs but it may take a bit more
> >> time
> >> than the usual hours or days because of the many changes in the new
> >> release. Some of the stuff which has been done in the RPM automagically
> >> -
> >> like converting databases on startup - has now been integrated in the
> >> main
> >> code and I have to look at things in detail.
> >
> > I was just looking if there were any 2.4.x RPM around, but see you are
> > still in the 2.3.x tree.
> >
> > Any idea if / or when you will be building RPM's for the 2.4.x release?
> >
> > Call me lazy, but I have been using your RPM's for years and am just
> > wondering if I need to be more patient, or start using the .tar.gz's ...
>
> I've been working on the 2.4.x RPM's recently but they have not been
> tested. I want to make sure that upgrades will work as smooth as they have
> always been and this requires quite a lot of tests with different
> scenarios. Unfortunately my time is a bit limited at the moment but I will
> work on it again.
>
> The other big question is how to handle the missing autocreate feature. I
> have hoped that this will be integrated into 2.4.x but as it seems now it
> will not be there and I don't really know what to do about it. All those
> running our RPM's and using autocreate will not be happy at all if they
> learn it was going away.
>
> I'm very interested in feedback from users and cyrus developers about this
> issue.

I've been meaning to work on them for a while - but been sidetracked by
working on other things at FastMail/Opera - and now working on turning the
annotation code into RFC complient METADATA.  Jeroen is also concerned
about breaking the stability of the 2.4 series by pushing too many
changes into it.

Then again - of the big sites running "2.4" - both CMU and FastMail are
actually running git master rather than 2.4 releases, which isn't ideal
either.  I'm not sure what everyone else is running...

Bron.