Shared mailboxes doc

Julien Vehent julien at linuxwall.info
Thu Dec 16 09:48:29 EST 2010

On 12/16/2010 09:32 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 09:24 -0500, Julien Vehent wrote:
>>> Nope, that's about it.  They are very simple, and simple to use [once
>>> you manage to get *users* to understand them - which is the hard part].
>> I have a problem with the shared mailbox and roundcube webmail.
>> While Thunderbird can access the shared mailbox just fine, roundcube
>> lists it (LSUB) but can't access it (It looks for
>> INBOX.shared.testshared instead of shared.testshared).
>>   From the roundcube mailing list, that could be due to a wrong namespace
>> information returned from cyrus.
>> The namespace returned is the following:
>> ---
>> . namespace
>> * NAMESPACE (("INBOX." ".")) (("user." ".")) (("" "."))
>> ---
>> Question is: shouldn't the 3rd argument be of the type "shared." ?
>> (Like in example 5.4 of the RFC [1]).
>
> I dunno about 5.4 but I believe the "postuser" [assuming that is where
> your "shared" thinking comes from] is only used to allow posting [via
> LMTP?] directly to a shared folder.  I didn't/don't think it indicates
> the actual namespace of non-user folders.
>
> Perhaps this relates to a RoundCube bug
> <http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1403507>?  RC's bad folder management
> is pretty well known.

Here is the roundcube's thread:
http://lists.roundcube.net/mail-archive/users/2010-12/0000028.html

The postuser works fine. The problem seems to be purely namespace related.

The RFC states the following:
---
NAMESPACE Command
    Arguments: none
    Response:  an untagged NAMESPACE response that contains the prefix
                  and hierarchy delimiter to the server's Personal
                  Namespace(s), Other Users' Namespace(s), and Shared
                  Namespace(s) that the server wishes to expose. The
                  response will contain a NIL for any namespace class
                  that is not available. Namespace_Response_Extensions
                  MAY be included in the response.
                  Namespace_Response_Extensions which are not on the IETF
                  standards track, MUST be prefixed with an "X-".
    Result:    OK - Command completed
                  NO - Error: Can't complete command
                  BAD - argument invalid
---

In the namespace command I posted above, the 3rd argument (Shared
Namespace(s) that the server wishes to expose) is empty.
Does that mean that cyrus does name return the namespace of shared
mailboxes ?
Should it be fixed in the configuration (and how)?

Once again, I'm not sure if it's a roundcube or cyrus problem here (it
might also be a human mistake). But since I'm discovering the subject, I
need some help to understand this whole NAMESPACE thing.

Thanks,
Julien