imtest issue

Mike Eggleston mikeegg1 at mac.com
Wed Aug 18 16:37:04 EDT 2010

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, Andrew Morgan might have said:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, Mike Eggleston wrote:
>
> >Afternoon,
> >
> >I had another incident where I again need to reset the \Seen flags for
> >several users. I'm trying to use imtest(8) and having issues. When I
> >execute 'imtest -u $USER -a cyrus localhost' I can authenticate just fine
> >using the cyrus account password as I expect. Reading the man page for
> >imtest(8) after login I'm supposed to become $USER. I expect to be able
> >to issue a '01 select INBOX.$folder', but I get an error. I can issue
> >'01 select user.$USER.$FOLDER' just fine, but this implies I'm still
> >cyrus and not $USER.
> >
> >When I issue the next command '02 uid store 1:* +flags \Seen', this works,
> >but it only works for the user that I am. Since the command '01 select
> >user.$USER.$FOLDER' works, then I'm setting the \Seen flag for cyrus
> >and not the \Seen flag for $USER.
> >
> >What am I doing wrong that I'm not becoming $USER when I execute from
> >the command line 'imtest -u $USER -a cyrus localhost'?
>
> Are you using a SASL mech that supports proxy auth?  The imtest manpage
> says:
>
>        -u userid
>               Userid  to  use  for authorization; defaults to the current
> user.  This is the userid whose identity will be assumed
>               after authentication.  NOTE: This is only used with SASL
> mechanisms that allow proxying (e.g. PLAIN, DIGEST-MD5).
>

> 	Andy

Andy,

How can I tell? I have 'proxyservers: yes' set in /etc/imapd.conf (and
restarted cyrus), I use sasl-authd to talk to my openldap back end. How
do I tell if this is proxy or not? Reading the logs I see lines that
read 'Aug 18 15:20:24 $HOST imap[6567]: login: localhost [127.0.0.1]
cyrus plaintext User logged in' when I log in using 'imtest -u $USER -a
cyrus localhost'. I think I'm using PLAIN.

Mike