Cyrus vacation notice

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Tue Apr 20 12:22:36 EDT 2010

Andrew Nash <nashcom at btinternet.com> wrote:

So the vacation reply should go to root at server.domain.

> We have a multi-drop POP3 mailbox on the ISP, and our server uses a
> program called Fetchmail to download all the messages, handing each
> downloaded message to a program called Trestlemail which examines the
> header before dropping it off to the correct recipient.

Holy expletive.

By the time cyrus gets the message, you have lost the envelope sender
and envelope recipients. So you can't send any type of delivery status
notice correctly, whether vacation replies, bounces, or receipts. It
looks like you can't deliver bcc'd messages either, if you are trying
to guess recipients by reading headers.

Anyway none of this is a cyrus problem. I'm out of here.

Joseph Brennan