Cyrus vacation notice

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Mon Apr 19 14:53:15 EDT 2010

Andrew Nash <nashcom at btinternet.com> wrote:

> I?m not too sure, to be honest.  I?ve just sent a test message from the
> LAN to an invalid external user (eg asdhka at btinternet.com), and I
> received a ?non delivery? message from the mail server of the domain
> saying the mailbox I was trying to send to was invalid.  Is this what you
> mean?

I meant the opposite, but forget that.

I am guessing that by LAN you mean a private network that is firewalled
from the Internet.  Right?

I am guessing that mail from outside arrives on a gateway host that is
on the Internet, and it re-sends the message into the private network.
Right?

Identify a message from outside that should have got a vacation reply
but did not.  For that message:

-- Find the log record on the gateway that shows it coming in, and
note the sender address.

-- Find the log record for the same message on the cyrus host, and
note the sender address.  Is it the same, or "root at server.domain"?
If it has changed to "root at server.domain", that is the problem.

Joseph Brennan