sync_server and PLAIN mech...

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Thu Apr 1 23:02:05 EDT 2010

On 01/04/10 18:43 -0500, Derek Chen-Becker wrote:
>I've been googling and reading the mailing lists all afternoon and I
>just can't figure this out. I've even tried trussing (Solaris)
>sync_server and saslauthd. When I run synctest against my 2.3.16 server
>it comes back with an auth error:
>
>badlogin: mail.cpicorp.com [192.168.25.10] PLAIN [SASL(-4): no mechanism
>available: Couldn't find mech PLAIN]
>
>Of course, if I use imtest to hit imapd on the same machine it logs in
>fine with the PLAIN mech. I found a similar post on google, but I
>couldn't find any resolution to the issue. One question would be whether
>sync_server actually honors the /etc/imapd.conf sasl settings. In my
>case, it's just:
>
>allowanonymouslogin: no
>allowplaintext: yes
>sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd

Use synctest (or telnet <host> csync) to visually verify that the PLAIN
mechanism is being offered by the server:

dwhite at zek:~$ synctest localhost
S: * SASL SRP DIGEST-MD5 PASSDSS-3DES-1 GSSAPI OTP NTLM CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
PLAIN
S: * OK zek Cyrus sync server v2.3.16

And verify that the host you're running sync_client on has the PLAIN mech
installed with pluginviewer.

--
Dan White