sync_server and PLAIN mech...

Derek Chen-Becker dbecker at cpicorp.com
Thu Apr 1 19:43:03 EDT 2010

I've been googling and reading the mailing lists all afternoon and I
just can't figure this out. I've even tried trussing (Solaris)
sync_server and saslauthd. When I run synctest against my 2.3.16 server
it comes back with an auth error:

badlogin: mail.cpicorp.com [192.168.25.10] PLAIN [SASL(-4): no mechanism
available: Couldn't find mech PLAIN]

Of course, if I use imtest to hit imapd on the same machine it logs in
fine with the PLAIN mech. I found a similar post on google, but I
couldn't find any resolution to the issue. One question would be whether
sync_server actually honors the /etc/imapd.conf sasl settings. In my
case, it's just:

allowanonymouslogin: no
allowplaintext: yes
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd

Like I said, IMAP works fine, it's just sync_server that seems unhappy.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

Derek Chen-Becker
Senior Network Engineer, Security Architect
CPI Corp, Inc.
1706 Washington Ave
St. Louis, MO 63103
Phone: 314-231-7711 x6455
Fax:   314-613-6724
dbecker at cpicorp.com
PGP Key available from public key servers
Fingerprint: E4C4 26C0 8588 E80A C29F  636D 1FBE 0FE3 2871 4AE8