saslauthd w/postfix smtp only works the first time

ravi raju ravi.raju at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 23:10:32 EDT 2009

Folks,
I set up cyrus sasl2 to work with postfix smtp server. I am able to send
e-mail by authenticating via sasl the first time after I start the saslauthd
process. When I send another e-mail, it doesn't work. I looked through
different logs, here is what I find:

1. Start saslauthd. I checked the status, several pids start up.
Starting saslauthd                                              [  OK  ]
Creating hardlink from /var/lib/sasl2/mux to
/var/spool/postfix/var/lib/sasl2/

saslauthd (pid 29638 29636 29634 29628 29627) is running...

2. Send e-mail. Everything works.

3. I checked the /var/log/syslog to make sure the connection was terminated
after it was first opened when sending e-mail.

4. Try sending another e-mail from the same box. E-mail is not sent.

5. I see most of the saslauthd process are shutdown at this point. Status
only shows one process running

saslauthd (pid 29627) is running...

6. After I force restart saslauthd, I can send another e-mail. At any point
in time, I am able to only send one e-mail.

Anyone has a clue what is going on? I appreciate your time and help with
this.

Thanks
Ravi