moving to new cyrus

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Tue Sep 29 18:28:59 EDT 2009

Hello,

My mail server is ancient, both in hardware and software, so I am
working on updating it. I started with a fresh install on a new machine.
My /var/cyrus directory is on its own hard drive. I copied everything
from the /var/cyrus directory onto a separate hard drive, which I
mounted on the new machine for testing purposes. My plan was to get
things working, shut down the old server, move the up-to-date /var/cyrus
drive to the new machine and go from there. Unfortunately, while
installing/updating to newest cyrus on the new machine I noticed lines
like this:

Creating/updating cyrus control directories in /var/cyrus/data...
Creating/updating partition spool /var/cyrus/mail...

which leads me to believe there are changes that have been made to
/var/cyrus that will not be on my old /var/cyrus hard drive. Any ideas
on how to handle this?

My old cyrus is

ii  cyrus-admin-2.2                   2.2.13-13                  Cyrus
mail system (administration tools)
ii  cyrus-clients-2.2                 2.2.13-13+b2               Cyrus
mail system (test clients)
ii  cyrus-common-2.2                  2.2.13-13                  Cyrus
mail system (common files)
ii  cyrus-imapd-2.2                   2.2.13-13                  Cyrus
mail system (IMAP support)
ii  libcyrus-imap-perl22              2.2.13-14+b1
Interface to Cyrus imap client imclient library

and the new one:

ii  cyrus-admin-2.2                     2.2.13-14+lenny3           Cyrus
mail system (administration tools)
ii  cyrus-clients-2.2                   2.2.13-14+lenny3           Cyrus
mail system (test clients)
ii  cyrus-common-2.2                    2.2.13-14+lenny3           Cyrus
mail system (common files)
ii  cyrus-imapd-2.2                     2.2.13-14+lenny3           Cyrus
mail system (IMAP support)
ii  cyrus-sasl2-dbg                     2.1.22.dfsg1-23+lenny1     Cyrus
SASL - debugging symbols
ii  libcyrus-imap-perl22                2.2.13-14+lenny3
Interface to Cyrus imap client imclient library

thanks,
maria