Cyrus LMTP and Maildir[++] Format

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Sep 16 06:05:17 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 13:57 +0430, mozafar roshany wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> I want to use the Cyrus LMTP server to get mail from Postfix remotely.
> But, the problem is that I can't use Cyrus-IMAP/POP itself for some
> reasons and I have courier as my IMAP/POP server which uses Maildir++
> mailbox format.

That won't work (and doesn't make much sense).  Switch to Cyrus, it is a
superior IMAP/POP server.

> Is there any way (any configuration parameter, or any patch or ...) to
> make Cyrus LMTP understand Maildir++ format?

No.

> If not, why?

Why do so?  The purpose of Cyrus' lmtpd is to delivery mail into the
Cyrus mail store.

> I haven't find a strict and clear answer to this question at my
> searches.

IMO, because maildir is a bad idea.  There is no good reason for someone
to be mucking around in the filesystem underneath my mail server.  You
can access the mail via IMAP [which is why you have an IMAP server!] -
via which your actions can be audited, sanitized, and made safe for
concurrent actions [ none of which is possible if some rogue user is
dorking the filesystem ].