incremental squatter

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Thu Sep 3 12:57:46 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 08:44 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 14:30 +0200, Paolo Cravero wrote:
> > Perhaps it is a bug in the documentation.
> > 'man squatter' in the DESCRIPTION says there's no incremental update:
> > "Squatter creates an index of ALL messages in the mailbox, not just those
> > since the last time that it was run (i.e.,  it  does  NOT  do  incremental
> > updates)."
> > but in the OPTIONS a "-i" switch mentions incremental.
> > Is it just a documentation error, so incremental indexing does work in 2.3.14?
>
> It may be a matter of interpretation.
>
> <quote>
> Squatter creates an index of ALL messages in the mailbox, not just those
> since time that it was run (i.e., it does NOT do incremental updates).
> Any messages appended  to  the mailbox after squatter is run, will NOT
> be included in the index. To include new messages in the index, squatter
> must be run again.
> </quote>
>
> I took "does NOT do incremental updates" to mean the index is not
> updated on-the-fly when new messages enter the mailbox, only when
> squatter is run.
I think that is a leftover from 2.2, and the sense of incremental there
was that when squatter runs reindexes the entire content, rather than
reusing what it can from the existing index.  So incremental referred to
a batch, rather than real-time, update.

Apparently 2.3 does have a batch incremental mode.  That sounds like a
huge win.

Also, does anyone know what this means for searches on material that has
changed since the last squatter run?  I have assumed, and hope, that the
search procedure is something like this:
search in the squatter index
remove results referring to deleted items
do an unindexed search on items added since last index.

Is that right?  Or, for example, are new messages just ignored?

Ross Boylan