strange quota behaviour

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Sep 1 05:58:33 EDT 2009

Quoting LALOT Dominique <dom.lalot at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> Sometimes, I have some bad quotas. Here is a trace:
>
> [cyrus at imap-perso ~]$ cyradm -user cyrus localhost
> Password:
> localhost.localdomain> lq user/xx
>  STORAGE 197/1000000 (0.0197%)
>
> [root at imap-perso ~]# du -hs /var/spool/imap2/m/user/xx
> 890M    /var/spool/imap2/m/user/xx
>
> reconstruct -rf user/xx
>
> [cyrus at imap-perso ~]$ quota -f user/xx
> user.xx: usage was 201755, now 820057155
>    Quota   % Used     Used Root
>  1000000       80   800837 user/xx

Do you use delayed expunge, squatter? The size of cyrus.* files and
eMails in delayed expunge mode are not included in the quota but
in du. Reconstructing the mailbox without -k will delete the eMails
in delayed expunge mode.

> (note that: its better but 800M and 890 makes a difference. That user has
> lots of folders and subfloders)
> my version:
> cyrus-imapd-2.3.14
>
> It happens quite a lot. Too much for me.
> I used some years ago to force a quota -f on each users. It worked on a
> 2.2.12 version, but when we migrate to a 2.3.x version, suddenly, the quotas
> were broken with over 1000%.
>
> We went back to 2.2.12 and got rid of quota -f (too dangerous)
>
> But now, that problem is coming back again and I still don't understand why.
> Fixing a quota should be easy to do.
> quota -f is very fast. Too fast I think..
> Can I generalize a reconstruct -rf followed by a quota -f without fears?
>
> Do you experience such problems?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dom
>
> --
> Dominique LALOT
> Ingénieur Systèmes et Réseaux
> http://annuaire.univmed.fr/showuser.php?uid=lalot

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen