authentication and/or sieve problem?

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Thu Oct 29 04:06:02 EDT 2009

> Dan White wrote:
>> On 28/10/09 00:47 -0700, Maria McKinley wrote:
>>> ella:/var/log# testsaslauthd -u "test" -p "xxx" -s smtp
>>> 0: OK "Success."
>>> ella:/var/log# testsaslauthd -u "test" -p "xxx" -s imaps
>>> 0: NO "authentication failed"
>>> ella:/var/log# testsaslauthd -u "test" -p "xxx" -s imap
>>> 0: OK "Success."
>>
>> Can you provide sanitized copies of the following?:
>>
>> Your saslauthd startup options (e.g. /etc/default/saslauthd)
>
> So, while copying file contents, I stumbled upon a missing file. I had
> looked in pam.d a bunch of times, but until you asked me for the actual
> contents, I had somehow overlooked that there was no imaps file. I

I'm a bit confused because I never had a imaps config for PAM. Doesn't
cyrus-imapd always use "imap" as service name for imap + imaps? If that's
the case then it's no error that you testsaslauthd call mentioned above
didn't succeed.

> copied the smtp file to the imaps file, and now testsaslauthd works for
> all three services. Yay! But, then I started going back through the
> logs, and realized that tls with imaps had been working all along. It

Yes, that makes sense now, doesn't it?

> was just one particular ip that was failing, it was just failing a lot,
> and there were very few scattered here and there that were successful.
> So, not sure why that was working (should I worry that it was?), but I
> am now pretty sure my problems with sieve are not related to
> authenticating.

I'm using squirrelmail-1.4.19 with avelsieve-1.9.8 against
cyrus-imapd-2.3.15 both on PHP4 and PHP5 but with plaintext. Older
versions had some issues when using the wrong combination IIRC. What are
your versions used?

Regards,
Simon