authentication and/or sieve problem?

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Thu Oct 29 03:37:49 EDT 2009

Dan White wrote:
> On 28/10/09 00:47 -0700, Maria McKinley wrote:
>> ella:/var/log# testsaslauthd -u "test" -p "xxx" -s smtp
>> 0: OK "Success."
>> ella:/var/log# testsaslauthd -u "test" -p "xxx" -s imaps
>> 0: NO "authentication failed"
>> ella:/var/log# testsaslauthd -u "test" -p "xxx" -s imap
>> 0: OK "Success."
>
> Can you provide sanitized copies of the following?:
>
> Your saslauthd startup options (e.g. /etc/default/saslauthd)

So, while copying file contents, I stumbled upon a missing file. I had
looked in pam.d a bunch of times, but until you asked me for the actual
contents, I had somehow overlooked that there was no imaps file. I
copied the smtp file to the imaps file, and now testsaslauthd works for
all three services. Yay! But, then I started going back through the
logs, and realized that tls with imaps had been working all along. It
was just one particular ip that was failing, it was just failing a lot,
and there were very few scattered here and there that were successful.
So, not sure why that was working (should I worry that it was?), but I
am now pretty sure my problems with sieve are not related to authenticating.

> What does your sieve entry look like in cyrus.conf? What's your
> squirrelmail sieve (avelsieve?) configuration look like?

from cyrus.conf:

   sieve           cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0 maxchild=100

avelsieve-config.php. got rid of some comments in the interest of space

Hadn't noticed this debugging option before. Would it send logs to syslog?

/**
  * Debug Mode. Enable this (change to 1) if you need to send a bug report.
  */
define('AVELSIEVE_DEBUG', 0);

/* =================== IMAP Server / SIEVE Setup
========================= */

/* Backend to use */
global $avelsieve_backend;
$avelsieve_backend = 'ManageSieve';

/* =================== ManageSieve Backend Options
======================== */

/* Port where timsieved listens on the Cyrus IMAP server. Default is
2000. */

global $sieveport;
$sieveport = 2000;

/**
  * @var string Space separated list of preferred SASL mechanisms for the
  * authentication to timsieved. e.g. "PLAIN DIGEST-MD5";*/

global $sieve_preferred_sasl_mech;
$sieve_preferred_sasl_mech = 'PLAIN';

/* ====== Implementation- and Server-Specific  Options
==================== */

global $avelsieve_oldcyrus;
$avelsieve_oldcyrus = true;

global $avelsieve_enable_envelope_auth;
$avelsieve_enable_envelope_auth = true;

global $avelsieve_custom_sieve_implementation;
$avelsieve_custom_sieve_implementation = '';

global $avelsieve_hardcoded_capabilities;
$avelsieve_hardcoded_capabilities = array(
     'envelope', 'fileinto', 'copy', 'vacation',
'comparator-i;ascii-numeric'
);

global $avelsieve_imapproxymode, $avelsieve_imapproxyserv;
$avelsieve_imapproxymode = false;
$avelsieve_imapproxyserv = array(
         'localhost' => 'imap.example.org'
);

/** @var boolean Ldapuserdata mode: Gets user's email addresses (including
  * mailAlternate & mailAuthorized) from LDAP Prefs Backend plugin's
cache */

global $avelsieve_ldapuserdatamode;
$avelsieve_ldapuserdatamode = false;

/** @var array Map of cyrus administrator users, for proxy authentication */

global $avelsieve_cyrusadmins_map;
$avelsieve_cyrusadmins_map = array(
         'cyrusimap' => 'cyrussieve'
);

/* =============== Avelsieve Interface / Behavior Setup
================== */

/* Be conservative to our updates on the SIEVE server? If true, a button
  * entitled "Save Changes" will appear, which will give the user the
  * functionality to register her changes. 'false' is recommended. */
$conservative = false;

/* Use images for the move up / down, delete rule buttons and STOP? */

$useimages = true;

/* Translate the messages returned by the "Reject" and "Vacation"
actions? The
  * default behaviour since 0.9 is not to translate them. Change to true
if in
  * an intranet environment or in a same-language environment. */

global $translate_return_msgs;
$translate_return_msgs = false;

$imagetheme = 'bluecurve_24x24';
//$imagetheme = 'bluecurve_16x16';

/* Number of items to display _initially_, when displaying the header match
  * rule */

$startitems = 3;

/* Maximum number of items to allow in one header match rule. */

$maxitems = 10;

/* Headers to display in listbox widget, when adding a new header rule. */

$headers = array(
  'From', 'To', 'Cc', 'Bcc', 'Subject', 'Reply-To', 'Sender', 'List-Id',
  'MailingList', 'Mailing-List', 'X-ML-Name', 'X-List', 'X-List-Name',
'X-MailingList',
  'Resent-From',  'Resent-To', 'X-Mailer', 'X-Mailing-List',
/* debian and ubuntu flags */
  'X-PTS-Package', 'X-Loop', 'X-Debian-PR-Message', 'X-Debian-PR-Package',
  'X-Debian-PR-Keywords', 'X-Debian-PR-Source', 'X-PTS-Keyword',
  'X-Debian', 'X-Debian-Package',
  'X-Launchpad-Bug', 'X-Launchpad-Bug-Private',
'X-Launchpad-Bug-Security-Vulnerability',
  'X-Launchpad-Message-Rationale', 'X-Generated-By',
/* debian and ubuntu flags end */
  'X-Spam-Flag', 'X-Spam-Status',
  'X-Priority', 'Importance', 'X-MSMail-Priority', 'Precedence',
  'Return-Path', 'Received', 'Auto-Submitted'
  );

/* Available :method's for the :notify extension (if applicable) */
global $notifymethods;
$notifymethods = array(
'mailto', 'sms'
);
/* use the value "false" if you want to provide a simple input box so that
  * users can edit the method themselves : */
//$notifymethods = false;

// $disable_avelsieve_capabilities = array("notify");
global $disable_avelsieve_capabilities;
$disable_avelsieve_capabilities = array();

/* Display Filters link in the top Squirrelmail header? */

global $avelsieveheaderlink;
$avelsieveheaderlink = true;

/* Default rules table display mode, one of 'verbose' or 'terse' */
global $avelsieve_default_mode;
$avelsieve_default_mode = 'terse';

/* ========================= Custom rules Configuration
=================== */

$spamrule_enable = false;
$spamrule_score_max = 100;
$spamrule_score_default = 80;
$spamrule_score_header = 'X-Spam-Score';
$spamrule_tests_ldap = false; /* Try to ask Sendmail's LDAP Configuration */
$spamrule_tests = array(
         'Open.Relay.DataBase' => "Open Relay Database",
         'Spamhaus.Block.List' => "Spamhaus Block List",
         'SpamCop' => "SpamCop",
         'Composite.Blocking.List' => "Composite Blocking List",
         'FORGED' => "Forged Header"
);
$spamrule_tests_header = 'X-Spam-Tests';
$spamrule_action_default = 'trash';

/* Please keep the following setting false; it is alpha + needs Squirrelmail
  * to be patched in three or four places. */

$avelsieve_spam_highlight_enable = false;
?>

Here is config.php

<?php

/**
  * SquirrelMail Configuration File
  * Created using the configure script, conf.pl
  */

global $version;
$config_version = '1.4.0';
$config_use_color = 1;

$org_name      = "SquirrelMail";
$org_logo      = SM_PATH . 'images/sm_logo.png';
$org_logo_width  = '308';
$org_logo_height = '111';
$org_title     = "SquirrelMail $version";
$signout_page  = '';
$frame_top     = '_top';

$provider_uri     = 'http://www.squirrelmail.org/';

$provider_name     = 'SquirrelMail';

$motd = "";

$squirrelmail_default_language = 'en_US';
$default_charset       = 'iso-8859-1';
$lossy_encoding        = false;

$domain                 = 'myorg.org';
$imapServerAddress      = 'localhost';
$imapPort               = 143;
$useSendmail            = false;
$smtpServerAddress      = 'smtp.myorg.org';
$smtpPort               = 25;
$sendmail_path          = '/usr/sbin/sendmail';
$sendmail_args          = '-i -t';
$pop_before_smtp        = false;
$imap_server_type       = 'cyrus';
$invert_time            = false;
$optional_delimiter     = 'detect';
$encode_header_key      = '';

$default_folder_prefix          = '';
$trash_folder                   = 'INBOX.Trash';
$sent_folder                    = 'INBOX.Sent';
$draft_folder                   = 'INBOX.Drafts';
$default_move_to_trash          = true;
$default_move_to_sent           = true;
$default_save_as_draft          = true;
$show_prefix_option             = false;
$list_special_folders_first     = true;
$use_special_folder_color       = true;
$auto_expunge                   = true;
$default_sub_of_inbox           = true;
$show_contain_subfolders_option = false;
$default_unseen_notify          = 2;
$default_unseen_type            = 1;
$auto_create_special            = true;
$delete_folder                  = false;
$noselect_fix_enable            = false;

$data_dir                 = '/var/lib/squirrelmail/data/';
$attachment_dir           = '/var/spool/squirrelmail/attach/';
$dir_hash_level           = 0;
$default_left_size        = '150';
$force_username_lowercase = false;
$default_use_priority     = true;
$hide_sm_attributions     = false;
$default_use_mdn          = true;
$edit_identity            = true;
$edit_name                = true;
$hide_auth_header         = false;
$allow_thread_sort        = false;
$allow_server_sort        = false;
$allow_charset_search     = true;
$uid_support              = true;
$plugins[0] = 'calendar';
$plugins[1] = 'delete_move_next';
$plugins[2] = 'abook_take';
$plugins[3] = 'message_details';
$plugins[4] = 'preview_pane';
$plugins[5] = 'avelsieve';
$plugins[6] = 'squirrel_logger';

$theme_css = '';
$theme_default = 0;
$theme[0]['PATH'] = SM_PATH . 'themes/';

**a bunch more theme stuff that I'm guessing don't matter...

$default_use_javascript_addr_book = false;
$ldap_server[0] = array(
     'host' => 'xx.xxx.xxx.xx',
     'base' => 'ou=people,dc=myorg,dc=org',
     'maxrows' => 50
);

$abook_global_file = '';
$abook_global_file_writeable = false;
$abook_global_file_listing = true;
$abook_file_line_length = 2048;

$addrbook_dsn = '';
$addrbook_table = 'address';

$prefs_dsn = '';
$prefs_table = 'userprefs';
$prefs_user_field = 'user';
$prefs_key_field = 'prefkey';
$prefs_val_field = 'prefval';
$addrbook_global_dsn = '';
$addrbook_global_table = 'global_abook';
$addrbook_global_writeable = false;
$addrbook_global_listing = false;

$no_list_for_subscribe = false;
$smtp_auth_mech = 'none';