Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Mon Oct 26 12:59:21 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 12:36 -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> At Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:37:30 -0700 (PDT), David Lang <david.lang at digitalinsight.com> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client
> >
> > I possibly missed it, but I didn't see anything that said that fetchmail was
> > grabbing things via IMAP.
>
> Yup, I think you missed it.
>
> > if you have intermittent/expensive-per-min internet connectivity doing something
> > like this has value.
>
> Nope, not really.   All modern useful IMAP clients can work offline too.
>
> All another IMAP server is doing is adding to the complexity _and_
> decreasing, i.e. lowering, the robustness of the overall solution.
>
> > another reason to run your own server is just to be free from quotas. many ISPs
> > have small mail quotas.
>
> All modern useful IMAP clients can also store message locally -- moving
> them from server to server, or server to local (or back), is as simple
> as selecting and saving/dragging messages between folders.

- not all mail providers do IMAP.
- not all mail providers doing IMAP guarantee unlimited storage or
lifelong mail availability.
- some users have accumulated mail providers and want to centralize
everything in a trusted server
That's what I do with Cyrus: fetching mail from various POP3 sources,
and having all where we can access it, from several IMAP clients.

That you may find this solution not optimal isn't the question (nor
really my problem, in fact), I just wanted my server to rest a bit when
unused (spinning off the drives array has measurable power gains), so I
wanted to be able to know when Cyrus has connected users.

Thanks,
    Xav