Odd auth issue: Windows 7 + Outlook auth fails

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Wed Nov 25 07:29:20 EST 2009

It appears to be Outlook that is doing it ... I went in last night and
setup Eudora, same machine, and it works perfectly .. *shrug*

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, Dan White wrote:

> On 22/11/09 19:16 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> Okay, I'm running a setup that has worked for years, but my mother just
>> upgraded their computer to Windows 7 with a full version of Outlook, and
>> can no longer connect ...
>>
>> So, I logged in via vnc and played around, and I'm getting the most odd
>> results ...
>>
>> If i put her login id as user at hub.org, the servers sees user at org ... but,
>> if I do something like user at hub.hub.org, the server sees user at hub.hub.org
>> ... same if I do something like user at .hub.org, the server sees the whole
>> address properly ... its only if I do the proper format of user at hub.org
>> does it truncate off the hub. part of it, which doesn't authenticate ...
>>
>> Everything used to work fine for her, when she was on XP, but I'm really
>> having trouble with seeing this as a Win problem when different formats do
>> appear to work properly ...
>>
>> Everything else works fine ..  my iphone connects fine, my alpine client
>> works fine ... so as far as I can tell, everything *should* work fine ...
>
> IMAP/POP?
> Which version of Cyrus SASL and IMAPd are you running?
> What does your sasl configuration look like? (grep sasl /etc/imapd.conf)
> What are you 'virtudomains' and 'defaultdomain' config items? Verify
> that user and user at hub.org are not admin users.
>
> If you suspect Outlook or Cyrus is mucking up the username, use a wire
> level capture tool (with ssl/tls temporarily turned off) to find out
> exactly who is at fault.
> --
> Dan White

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy at hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy at hub.org