Odd auth issue: Windows 7 + Outlook auth fails

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Sun Nov 22 18:43:42 EST 2009

On 22/11/09 19:16 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>Okay, I'm running a setup that has worked for years, but my mother just
>upgraded their computer to Windows 7 with a full version of Outlook, and
>can no longer connect ...
>
>So, I logged in via vnc and played around, and I'm getting the most odd
>results ...
>
>If i put her login id as user at hub.org, the servers sees user at org ... but,
>if I do something like user at hub.hub.org, the server sees user at hub.hub.org
>... same if I do something like user at .hub.org, the server sees the whole
>address properly ... its only if I do the proper format of user at hub.org
>does it truncate off the hub. part of it, which doesn't authenticate ...
>
>Everything used to work fine for her, when she was on XP, but I'm really
>having trouble with seeing this as a Win problem when different formats do
>appear to work properly ...
>
>Everything else works fine ..  my iphone connects fine, my alpine client
>works fine ... so as far as I can tell, everything *should* work fine ...

IMAP/POP?
Which version of Cyrus SASL and IMAPd are you running?
What does your sasl configuration look like? (grep sasl /etc/imapd.conf)
What are you 'virtudomains' and 'defaultdomain' config items? Verify
that user and user at hub.org are not admin users.

If you suspect Outlook or Cyrus is mucking up the username, use a wire
level capture tool (with ssl/tls temporarily turned off) to find out
exactly who is at fault.

--
Dan White