move mailboxes and mark email as "read"

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Nov 20 07:16:05 EST 2009

Quoting Marc Patermann <hans.moser at ofd-sth.niedersachsen.de>:

> Hi,
>
> Thomas Vogt schrieb:
>
>> I'll move several thousand cyrus mailboxes to a new server. Old
>> Server was running cyrus imapd 2.2, new server runs cyrus imapd 2.3.
>>
>> The task seems pretty trivial. I tar all users starting with A (later
>> b,c,d..), create all mailboxes on the new server with cyradm
>> (script), extract the tar file, reconstruct all mailboxes.
>>
>> The only problemI have, is "seen.db". On my new server, every email
>> is marked as new, unread email. Is there a way to fix this?
> # man cvt_cyrusdb
> # /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/cvt_cyrusdb
> Usage: /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/cvt_cyrusdb [-C altconfig] <old db> <old db
> backend> <new db> <new db backend>
> Usable Backends:  berkeley, berkeley-nosync, flat, skiplist, quotalegacy
>
> Dump to flat file, copy to new server, convert back to desired bd format.
> [Should work, untested here. Inspired by
> http://wiki.linuxwall.info/doku.php/en:ressources:dossiers:cyrus:repair_skiplist]

You should also dump the mailboxes.db and import it on the new server,
this insures that the mailbox uid, which is used in the seen.db is
consistent.

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen