Repeating emails

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Tue Nov 3 11:52:34 EST 2009

On 11/03/2009 08:44 AM, Tom Plancon wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Not sure if this is the place to ask this, just trying to track it
> down. I'm running Cyrus 2.2.12 with Postfix 2.2.2 for only 45 users.
> Every once in a while, but much more recently, users are receiving
> emails sent a few days ago - again. The recent repeat emails were all
> from users on our network sent to all users on our network. The
> headers appear like regular, legit emails. Any thoughts as to what
> could be going on or where to begin looking.
>
> Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
We saw a situation like this some years back, which was caused by
misconfiguration between postfix and cyrus.  The specific problem we saw
was that when a local user sent a message to a group of local users, and
one member of the group (mailing list, alias expansion or whatever)
generated a 4XX (temp fail) error on delivery, then we would see the
whole list get the message again when the cause of the temp fail was
cleared up (such as quota getting fixed).

I don't remember the exact fix, but it involved switching from
mailbox_transport to local_transport in postfix, and switching from
alias_maps to virtual_alias_maps as well.  This causes the redelivery
attempts to occur post-alias expansion rather than pre-alias expansion.

I know this is off topic for the cyrus-imapd list, but thought others
may find it helpful.

Cheers,
    -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight llc.                              www.onlight.com
219 N. Milwaukee St., Suite 2a		  v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53202