Repeating emails

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Tue Nov 3 11:27:45 EST 2009

--On Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:44 AM -0500 Tom Plancon
<tplancon at bkaarchs.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Not sure if this is the place to ask this, just trying to track it down.
> I'm running Cyrus 2.2.12 with Postfix 2.2.2 for only 45 users. Every once
> in a while, but much more recently, users are receiving emails sent a few
> days ago - again. The recent repeat emails were all from users on our
> network sent to all users on our network. The headers appear like
> regular, legit emails. Any thoughts as to what could be going on or where
> to begin looking.
>
> Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Find out whether the message was actually sent twice by the sender.
See system log ; diff the Received headers and Message-ID.  Most
likely it was sent twice, indicating a sender client problem.

If sent only once, find out whether the message is really repeated
on the cyrus server.  Grep the Message-ID.  If it's there only once,
it's some kind of index problem on cyrus or in the client.  You could
reconstruct.  You could have the recipient read the mailbox with a
different client and see whether the duplication still appears.

Joseph Brennan