Cyrus APIs ?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri May 29 09:07:31 EDT 2009

> >   - IMAP protocol extensions (most needed thing would be to "idle" on
> > every folders, not just inbox)
> Yeah, good luck with that one.  It's a pretty major "protocol extention",
> and everything's very folder centric.  It would be a rather large SMOP
> (small matter of programming) for this.

What are you trying to accomplish?  Maybe just a notification of
delivery of a message to a mailbox via a socket would be helpful (so a
process could watch a socket at deal with notifying whatever client it
determines needs to be pinged).  We've been trying to figure out a way
to do push-mobile for awhile and this is a hurdle.  Funambol has a
service for that but it polls mailboxes (and needs to sign on as each
and every user to do so) which is a real pain [and pragmatically
worthless, IMO].  You can sort of hack something together with SIEVE
too.  But nothing is particularly elegant (although the information
below might be helpful).

> >   - custom authentification mechanism (for single sign-on purpose,
> > because kerberos doesn't fit everywhere)
> BYO saslauthd protocol daemon.  We have one written in Perl that does
> all sorts of clever.  Just put this in your imapd.conf
> sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> And have your daemon listen on a unix socket at:
> /var/state/saslauthd/mux
> You need to speak the saslauthd protocol, which is a packed string
> format.  We parse it in Perl like this:

Thanks,  this is really great info.