Disable pop for some users

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri May 8 06:21:54 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 11:26:49AM +0200, Roland B wrote:
> You can make this by the following workaround:
>
> starting imapd and pop3d with different imap.conf-files
> within these different imapd.conf-files, you can make some appropriate settings
> to differ if the present user may use POP3/IMAP or not.
>
> For myself, i did the authentication job against a PostgreSQL database with
> auxprop. There, it was easy to use two different sql-statements within these
> two imapd.conf-files to achieve exactly this :-)

We use nginx similarly.  We have a custom authentication daemon
which can talk saslauthd protocol to Cyrus or HTTP protocol to
nginx (since that's what it prefers).  One nice thing about our
setup is that we can provide an informative message to our users
about why the connection is being refused (basically "pay us more
money and we'll give you POP" ;)

Bron.