upgrade from 2.2.x to 2.3.x

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Mar 31 18:04:02 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 09:38 +0200, Simon Matter wrote:
> > Planning on upgrading my server from...
> >
> > db4-4.2.52-7.3.el4
> > cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-9.RHEL4

> > db4-4.3.29-9.fc6
> > cyrus-imapd-2.3.14-1
>
> Looks like you are going from RHEL4 to RHEL5?
>

> > obviously, I can move the mail files but I'm also concerned with the
> > various seen.db, mailboxes.db, annotations.db
> >
> > Do I just copy them over and use berkeley utilities to update them?
>
> Looks like you use my rpms on RHEL5 right? Then you may want to first
> update cyrus-imapd on RHEL4 to cyrus-imapd-2.3.14-1. Then start and stop
> cyrus-imapd on RHEL4 and transfer all cyrus data to RHEL5 and start it up.
> The RPM handles this by converting all berkeley DB's to skiplist in
> shutdown and converting back as needed on startup. (I think the 2.2.12 rpm
> already does this on RHEL4 but I'm not sure so just stop it and check the
> db files.)
----
yes - yes - yes

Yes, from CentOS 4 to CentOS 5
Yes, from CentOS 4 cyrus-imapd package to Simon's package on CentOS 5
Yes, shut it down, did 'rsync -ar' everything from /var/spool/imap
and /var/lib/imap, /etc/imapd.conf and /etc/cyrus.conf and generated new
certs.

No - it all failed at startup. Did chown cyrus:mail on both directories
recursively and it started up and seems to be running fine. Did a
'reconstruct -fr user.*' just to be safe...

Thanks for the src packages and thanks for the reply but I didn't bother
installing 2.3.x on my RHEL 4 and it doesn't seem to have mattered. I
think I've almost done everything necessary in migrating my server to
where I can shut down the old server now.

Craig