possible self-deadlock in idle signal handler

Michael Bacon baconm at email.unc.edu
Tue Mar 31 12:22:07 EDT 2009

Just as a follow-up on this, I think I've found a way to at least decrease
the incidence of the problem with a stupid conf file trick.

The problem appears to emerge when the client decides to do something
simultaneously with the idle alarm going off.  Since most clients (in the
case of this user, it was Thunderbird) do things in multiples of minutes, I
changed the imapidlepoll setting from 60 to 65.  (67 might be even better,
come to think of it.)  I'll have to let it run a few weeks before I know if
it made any difference, but it may have the effect of de-syncing activity
on the client and server ends, which would probably help.

-Michael

--On Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:38 AM +1100 Bron Gondwana