sendmail and cyrus-imap - delivery problem

Mario Pavlov freebsd at abv.bg
Tue Mar 24 13:59:55 EDT 2009

Hi,
I've discovered something odd (at least to me)
when I first configured cyrus-imap I was unable to create mailboxes
I kept getting this:

localhost> cm user.boo at yo.com
createmailbox: Permission denied

then I read somewhere that I should set "unixhierarchysep" to "yes" and it will work
so I did and it worked...I was able to create mailboxes

localhost> cm user/boo at yo.com
localhost> lm
user/boo at yo.com (\HasNoChildren)

and while I was struggling with my delivery problem these days I decided to set "unixhierarchysep" back to "no" just to see what happens
so it was the same...I was unable to create mailboxes because of that "Permission denied" error
but when I wrote "lm" I saw that:

localhost> lm
user.boo at yo^com (\HasNoChildren)

you see the difference ? There is this sign "^" in the domain name instead of dot "."
I checked:

localhost> info user.boo at yo.com      // <--- dot "."
localhost> info user.boo at yo^com      // <--- shift + 6 "^"
{user.boo at yo^com}:
  condstore: false
  duplicatedeliver: false
  lastpop:
  lastupdate: 21-Mar-2009 08:56:34 +0000
  partition: default
  sharedseen: false
  size: 0

so turns out "user.boo at yo.com" is not an existing mailbox, is it ?
could this be my delivery problem ?
is it possible cyrus not matching mailboxes because of this ?

thank you.