ctl_cyrusdb questions, looking for answers

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Tue Mar 17 09:31:08 EDT 2009

> > 1) Listing of database files "checkpointed"
> > 2) Description of checkpoint format
> >   a) "ls /var/lib/imap" suggest two sets of checkpoint database are
> > retained.
>
> I'm not really sure here. Cyrus-imapd checkpoints databases and archives
> some of them (mboxlist_db, quota_db, annotation_db). Archives are put and
> rotated into the db.backup[1,2] dirs.

so are other databases (other then mboxlist_db, quota_db, annotation_db)
checkpointed or not?

> >   b) Description of checkpoint configuration options, if any, to control
> > checkpoint sets
> > 3) Checkpointed image backup requirements
>
> Not exactly sure what you mean here. I think you only need the database in
> db.backup? and of course clean the environment before restoring such a db.

AFAIK only that three databases are copied to the db.backupX directory. So if
there are other checkpointed dbs they stay in the original place and I need to
backup them?

> > 5) Appropriate recovery procedure when invocation with "-r" vs. "-r -x'
> > is required.
>
> I don't remember to have used -x in the last 10 years using cyrus-imapd. I
> really don't know what the cleanup part means. Is it cleaning up unused
> space in a db file or does it mean handling of open transactions?

thats what I'm wondering :)

> Regards,
> Simon

Thanks for the answers!