ctl_cyrusdb questions, looking for answers

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Thu Mar 12 14:38:38 EDT 2009

Hi,

does anybody know, how ctl_cyrusdb works (how it should be used)? I've
seen ctl_cyrusdb's man pages, but there is just few notes and nothing more.

I assume ctl_cyrusdb is used (in /etc/cyrus.conf) to generate
"checkpoints" of the Cyrus databases, presumably those in /var/lib/imap.

The information that man does not provide is

1) Listing of database files "checkpointed"
2) Description of checkpoint format
  a) "ls /var/lib/imap" suggest two sets of checkpoint database are
retained.
  b) Description of checkpoint configuration options, if any, to control
checkpoint sets
3) Checkpointed image backup requirements
4) Appropriate cross-references to utilities used to determine database
corrution requiring recovery procedure
5) Appropriate recovery procedure when invocation with "-r" vs. "-r -x'
is required.

It'll be really appreciated if someone could explain at least some of
these questions. Thanks

Regards,

Michal Hlavinka