Announcing cyrus-user-map, a local recipient map generator for Postfix

Vladimir Klejch kleo+cyrus at netbox.cz
Tue Mar 10 06:18:43 EDT 2009

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Farzad FARID wrote:

> Le 10.03.2009 09:59, Stefan Schmidt a écrit :
>>  Nice thing, but just out of curiosity, why don't you use postfix'
>>  recipient verification mechanism?
>>  In smtp_recipient_restrictions add reject_unverified_recipient at a
>>  reasonable position in these restrictions. Everything else
>>  automagically happens.
>>
> Thanks for asking. In the "Postfix Address Verification Howto"
> (http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html) it says that:
>
> "/A Postfix MTA verifies a sender or recipient address by probing the
> nearest MTA for that address, without actually delivering mail. The nearest
> MTA could be the Postfix MTA itself, or it could be a remote MTA (SMTP
> interruptus). Probe messages are like normal mail, except that they are never
> delivered, deferred or bounced; probe messages are always discarded./"
>
> This is a very heavyweight process, especially if we have the Cyrus database
> at hand :) So I think that looking up an entry in a hash map is much faster
> and doesn't involve any SMTP/LMTP connection.
>
> And if the Postfix relay and the Cyrus database are not on the same physical
> computer, and someone's interested, I can extend my little tool to use a
> network connection to fetch the user database.
>
> Best regards

what about something like "Postfix version of smmapd" :
http://www.mail-archive.com/info-cyrus@lists.andrew.cmu.edu/msg31479.html

it is good solution, it has test for existention of mailbox and overquota
..

i have fidled with it, but have not working solution, because there is
some problem with unixhierarchysep and altnamespace , i think ... :-((

its about 1.5 years ago as tryed it ...

|      You have moved the mouse.                              #
| Windows must be restarted for the changes to take effect.   #
|                      <OK>                                   #

Vladimir `KLEO' Klejch     	Kleo'at'netbox.cz