Announcing cyrus-user-map, a local recipient map generator for Postfix

Farzad FARID ffarid at pragmatic-source.com
Tue Mar 10 05:58:36 EDT 2009

Le 10.03.2009 09:59, Stefan Schmidt a écrit :
> Nice thing, but just out of curiosity, why don't you use postfix'
> recipient verification mechanism?
> In smtp_recipient_restrictions add reject_unverified_recipient at a
> reasonable position in these restrictions. Everything else
> automagically happens.

Thanks for asking. In the "Postfix Address Verification Howto"
(http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html) it says that:

  "/A Postfix MTA verifies a sender or recipient address by probing the
nearest MTA for that address, without actually delivering mail. The
nearest MTA could be the Postfix MTA itself, or it could be a remote MTA
(SMTP interruptus). Probe messages are like normal mail, except that
they are never delivered, deferred or bounced; probe messages are always
discarded./"

This is a very heavyweight process, especially if we have the Cyrus
database at hand :) So I think that looking up an entry in a hash map is
much faster and doesn't involve any SMTP/LMTP connection.

And if the Postfix relay and the Cyrus database are not on the same
physical computer, and someone's interested, I can extend my little tool
to use a network connection to fetch the user database.

Best regards

--
Farzad FARID / Architecte Open Source - Associé
Pragmatic Source / http://www.pragmatic-source.com