Problem with cyrus imapd and virtual domains

Falko Zurell falko.zurell at idmedia.com
Tue Mar 3 09:56:11 EST 2009

Hi,

I got a tricky problem with my cyrus imapd + sasldb authentication.

This cyrus was configured without support for virtual domains.
Everything works fine. Now I have to add another domain and like the
cyrus to support virtual domains.
So I added the following lines to my  /etc/imapd.conf

virtdomains: yes
defaultdomain: club.mydomain.de
unixhierarchysep: yes

My whole imapd.conf looks like this:

===============================
servername: club.mydomain.de
# loginrealms: sode0-101 club.mydomain.de
configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: cyrus fzurell fzurell at sode0-101 fzurell at localdomain
imap_admins: cyrus fzurell fzurell at sode0-101
sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
hashimapspool: true
#sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop saslauthd
sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN
allowanonymouslogin: no
allowplaintext: yes
#tls_cert_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
#tls_key_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
#tls_ca_file: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
# Support virtual Domains
  virtdomains: yes

# The default domain for virtual domain support
# If the domain of a user can't be taken from its login and it can't
# be determined by doing a reverse lookup on the interface IP, this
# domain is used.
defaultdomain: club.mydomain.de
unixhierarchysep: yes
=========================

I disabled the loginrealms parameter as well. Then I restarted the
imapd and tried to login. I can login with:

cyradm --user cyrus localhost

But when I try to list the existing mailboxes I got an empty list.
There seems to be no user accounts in the server.
I also can't create any new mailbox like this:

  cyradm  --user cyrus localhost

localhost.localdomain> cm user/user at reader-club.mydomain.de
createmailbox: Invalid mailbox name
localhost.localdomain>

When I disable virtdomains and login in the very same way I can see
all the existing mailboxes.

I thinks it's a problem with the "view" of the cyrus admin account.
But what makes me wonder is that I can't even create new mailboxes in
this new view.

I got these entries in my sasldb

[root at sode0-101 ~]# sasldblistusers2 | grep cyrus
cyrus at sode0-101: userPassword
cyrus at club.mydomain.de: userPassword

any Ideas on this?
Falko Zurell 