Another cache bug!

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Tue Mar 3 08:11:03 EST 2009

Patrick Boutilier wrote:
>> Bron Gondwana wrote:
>>> OK - so apart from the "you need to reconstruct" bit, this message
>>> actually sucks.
>>>
>>> The attached patch will make things much more useful! (but the core
>>> message of "things are messed up in those there index files, just
>>> reconstruct the sucker already) is the same.
>>>
>>> Bron ( going to commit this to CVS too )
>>>

>> Patch applied and I will post log entries when the errors come back.
>>
>> Thanks.
>

> Feb  9 03:31:21 student2 cyr_expire[4527]: IOERROR: reading cache record
> for user.wwood: item 1 has bogus offset 1818891452 of 56252 for 2/8;
> mailbox needs a reconstruct
>
> Feb  9 03:31:21 student2 cyr_expire[4527]: failure expiring user.wwood:
> System I/O error
>

> Running reconstruct on the mailbox does fix the problem.

I wrote a script to reconstruct any mailbox that showed corruption
during cyr_expire. I had to reconstruct about 4000 accounts the first
week and another 5000 or so the second week. It has been well over two
weeks now since any further corruption.

The only thing I can think of is that these mailboxes have been
"corrupt" for quite a while (years maybe) but they only started showing
problems once we enabled delayed expunge/delete .