Repeat recovers on databases

Michael Bacon baconm at email.unc.edu
Mon Jun 15 10:07:34 EDT 2009

This appears to be an issue in addition to the freeze-ups we're having.

Given all the dumping and undumping I'm doing in the name of debugging,
this may not be surprising, but I keep seeing instances where a database
gets into some state wherein any process that opens it decides to run a
recover on it before doing anything.  Running a ctl_cyrusdb -r, even with
all other processes stopped, does not seem to change this behavior.  The
next time a cyrus process starts up, whether it's an imapd, mupdate, or
ctl_mboxlist, the process goes and does a recover before doing anything
else.

Has anyone else seen this?  I've seen it on brand-new, newly "undumped"
databases in the past week.

Michael Bacon
ITS Messaging
UNC Chapel Hill