'PLAIN encryption needed to use mechanism' error

Scott M. Likens damm at yazzy.org
Wed Jul 29 02:30:46 EDT 2009

Hi Blake,

Actually pop3 by default should be using plain, like

damm at desolation> telnet localhost
pop3
                                                                                                                                     ~
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK desolation Cyrus POP3 v2.3.14 server ready
<8505169291665378509.1248848742 at desolation>
user root
+OK Name is a valid mailbox
pass toor
+OK Mailbox locked and ready

However, if you man imapd.conf you will notice there is such an option
as,

allowplaintext: 0

You may need to change that to 1, in order for plaintext ala pop3 to
work.

Scott