'PLAIN encryption needed to use mechanism' error

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Wed Jul 29 01:44:16 EDT 2009

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: 'PLAIN encryption needed to use mechanism' error
From: Blake Hudson <blake at ispn.net>
To: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:13:52 AM
> I recently setup a new server and everything tested well. However, once
> in production I am seeing errors like the following:
>
> pop3PRTC[20896]: badlogin: [204.x.x.x] PLAIN encryption needed to use
> mechanism
>

> I wasn't aware that POP utilized other mechanisms? I can login just fine
> with telnet and tbird, and cannot replicate this error myself. Any ideas?
>
> --Blake

Looks like the POP side is not advertising LOGIN/PLAIN auth types while
the imap side is. Is this the intended behavior?

In my imapd.conf i have the following mech list defined:
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5

---------------------- POP3----------------------
+OK twinP Cyrus POP3 v2.3.7-Invoca-RPM-2.3.7-2.el5 server ready
<173180331313918
17429.1248845988 at twinP>
auth
+OK List of supported mechanisms follows
DIGEST-MD5
CRAM-MD5
.

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID STARTTLS AUTH=DIGEST-MD5
AUTH=LOGIN
 AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=CRAM-MD5 SASL-IR] twinP Cyrus IMAP4
v2.3.7-Invoca-RPM-2.3.7-2.el5 server ready

I suppose this is likely a bad client that is not refreshing its mech
list after the server switch, but I'd still like to know how to resolve
the issue server side (if possible).

-Blake