Help with tweaking complete mail setup based on Cyrus + Postfix + MySQL

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Tue Jul 21 09:11:50 EDT 2009

> On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 05:01 -0700, Nybbles2Byte wrote:
>> Hello ,
>> Well, I finally got the whole email setup working. The system
>> comprises of:
>> OpenSuSE 11.0
>> Cyrus-Imap
>> Cyrus-SASL
>> Postfix
>> MySQL
>> Amavis
>>   SpamAssassin
>>   ClamAV
>> setup up to work with multiple domains.
>> I am sure that there are a bunch of little tricks that would make this
>> system sing that an experienced administrator would know, and that
>> would take me months to find out.  So, is there someone there, knowing
>> that all the initial setup has been done and works, that could/would
>> shell into my server and just tweak whatever he can with his
>> experience.
>
> I don't know what I'd do unless there was a specific problem or issue.
> Of the cuff my thoughts are:
>
> 1.) Make sure you are using Skiplist and not Berkley DB for databases
> that default to Berkeley.
> 2.) Enable delayed expunge and configure a cyr_expunge job
> 3.) Disable, shoot, and burn SpamAssassin; that slow bloated buggy cow
> isn't worth the resource and maintenance cost for the very small
> improvement in SPAM prevention it offers over just RBLs, good MTA
> configuration, and greylisting.  All of which are simple and low
> [resource] cost.  Absolutely nothing else will do more to improve
> performance.

That's getting a bit OT but - why exactly is it so bad?
Slow bloated cow - maybe, but apart from that it can be configured to run
almost maintenance free. We are running it with spampd
(http://www.worlddesign.com/index.cfm/rd/mta/spampd.htm) and it tags more
than 99% of spam as spam and it does so for may years.

Regards,
Simon