Help with tweaking complete mail setup based on Cyrus + Postfix + MySQL

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Jul 21 08:32:51 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 05:01 -0700, Nybbles2Byte wrote:
> Hello ,
> Well, I finally got the whole email setup working. The system
> comprises of:
> OpenSuSE 11.0
> Cyrus-Imap
> Cyrus-SASL
> Postfix
> MySQL
> Amavis
>   SpamAssassin
>   ClamAV
> setup up to work with multiple domains.
> I am sure that there are a bunch of little tricks that would make this
> system sing that an experienced administrator would know, and that
> would take me months to find out.  So, is there someone there, knowing
> that all the initial setup has been done and works, that could/would
> shell into my server and just tweak whatever he can with his
> experience.

I don't know what I'd do unless there was a specific problem or issue.
Of the cuff my thoughts are:

1.) Make sure you are using Skiplist and not Berkley DB for databases
that default to Berkeley.
2.) Enable delayed expunge and configure a cyr_expunge job
3.) Disable, shoot, and burn SpamAssassin; that slow bloated buggy cow
isn't worth the resource and maintenance cost for the very small
improvement in SPAM prevention it offers over just RBLs, good MTA
configuration, and greylisting.  All of which are simple and low
[resource] cost.  Absolutely nothing else will do more to improve
performance.
4.) Make sure you have directory hashing enabled
5.) Disable atime on your mail store and meta-data store filesystems.
If using ext3 then investigate the data= options as well.
6.) Test your backup/restore procedure.
7.) Take a look at the Cyrus chapter of WMOGAG
<http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/whitemice/wmogag/file_view>