Reducing log verbosity

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Jul 20 09:51:17 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-18 at 19:45 -0700, Bryan Hill wrote:
> thanks!  I figured that might be the case after looking into this in
> more detail.

A better solution, IMHO, is to post-filter.  The filtering provided by
Syslog is pretty crude and requires bouncing the syslog service to
change.  If you use syslog-ng you can specify a pipeline as a
destination, either a command or socket, etc... so you can get much more
granular about what logs to keep and you can modify the logging level
without effecting the service.  If your mail host uses the old syslog,
which ours do, you can ship the logs over the network [syslog support
network logging, even the old one] to a syslog-ng log server where you
can play with the logs all you want.

<http://mosg.googlegroups.com/web/Logging-WMLUG-200906.pdf?gda=yRVyn0oAAABw6HckmRln_4yUX8BzAUFLv7fdB_xUGxz6YUeUtmWt4DR3ZV5hCDKRXT-CthMVOlIwLF4ohGElurQ42NwcJ7pp_e3Wg0GnqfdKOwDqUih1tA&gsc=jvC6DwsAAAAobgScHyPB6BxVxV3YA2wp>

OpenGroupware developer: awilliam at whitemice.org
<http://whitemiceconsulting.blogspot.com/>
OpenGroupare & Cyrus IMAPd documenation @
<http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/whitemice/wmogag/file_view>