Automatically moving marked mails?

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Fri Jul 3 12:42:53 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 09:25 -0500, Gary Mills wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 01:02:35AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > I really don't know anyone, neither amongst home-based users nor
> > corporate e-mail users, who truly believe they're better off with an
> > MS-Exchange server handling their e-mail, especially if they've
> > previously used a decent IMAP client connected to a Cyrus server.  Most
> > folks put up with it because they don't have any choice and that's
> > because their IT guy got a good free game of golf or similar from the
> > sales guy who sold him up the creek on using Exchange.
> There's pressure here too to move from Cyrus to Microsoft Exchange.
> It seems to be coming from administrators rather than students.
> Is there someplace an unbiased comparison of the two?

No, I don't think the two are even comparable;  not because Exchange is
so terrible but because Cyrus is an IMAP server and Exchange is a Mail
Server & a collaboration platform (aka "groupware", which is a terrible
term).

> I see lots of
> negative reports about Exchange, but they mostly come from people who
> are using another product based on open standards.

I'm always amused at tech conferences how many of the pitches are for
products for or relating to dealing with Exchange and keeping it
running.