Upgrade and Migration

Ben Carter bhc at pitt.edu
Thu Jul 2 17:02:33 EDT 2009

Peter Clark wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an old cyrus install (2.1.16) with 30GB of data that I need to
> migrate to a new server. My challenge is that something on that server
> is screwed up and I have no access to PERL on that machine anymore (the
> OS is past EOL, so it is long past time to move anyways). I have a new
> box (2.3.14) and a bunch of trepidation about screwing this move up. I
> have looked at the Cyrus Upgrade doc and seemingly this is a rather
> straight forward operation.
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> 1.rsync (pulling from the old server to the new):
>     config directory (/var/imap)
>     partition-default (/var/spool/imap)
>
> 2.  /usr/cyrus/bin/cvt_cyrusdb /var/imap/mailboxes.db berkeley
> /var/imap/mailboxes.db.new skiplist
>
> 3.  mv /var/imap/mailboxes.db.new /var/imap/mailboxes.db
>
> 4.  find /var/imap/user -name \*.seen -exec /usr/cyrus/bin/cvt_cyrusdb
> \{\} flat \{\}.new skiplist \; -exec mv \{\}.new \{\} \;
>
> 5. start imapd
>
> Is that it? I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Peter
>
> ----

Peter,

You might want to use imapsync to do this.  It uses the IMAP protocol,
copies flags, can copy ACLs etc.  What I did was to create all the
INBOXes on the new server, set up large quotas on the new server,
point mail delivery to the new server and then use imapsync to copy
the folders and messages.  People had full mail functionality right
away and their folders/messages were backfilled.

At the end, I set quotas back to what I really wanted them to be.

If you use rsync, you have to stop everything until that finishes,
possibly reconstruct all mailboxes, maybe fix some other things before
giving people their mail functionality back and allowing mail delivery
to resume.

Also, the ACL format in the mailboxes file might be different between
these 2 Cyrus versions.

If you use the protocol to move the data, you don't have to worry
about any data structure differences etc.  You also can re-arrange
your partitions and so on.  Plus it re-calculates all quota usage as
imapsync APPENDs the messages during the migration.

You'll have to enable proxy logins on both IMAP servers to do this
administratively with imapsync.

I copied 1.2TB, ~65,000 users in ~28 hours by using up to 128
concurrent imapsync processes at a time this way.

Ben

--
Ben Carter
University of Pittsburgh/CSSD