Error dragging and dropping a folder from one server to another for only one user

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 12 19:50:09 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 04:59:28PM -0500, David Korpiewski wrote:
> Forgive me, but what is "telemetry".  I talked to our mac guru and he
> was unaware what that was either.

The first hit on google for "cyrus telemetry" give this:

http://www.irbs.net/internet/info-cyrus/0604/0313.html

Which is a pretty good description.  Basically, you create a directory
in <config dir>/log/ with the username of the user you want to watch,
and it logs all traffic on connections for that user.

(something like /var/imap/log/brong for me)

> This problem continues to plague us
> even if we use cyradm and delete the account outright.   We verify that
> the account was deleted and the directory in the mail store was gone.
> Then when it comes back the problem still exists.

It sounds like there's an issue with the encoding of a folder name to
me - when Mac mail sends it.  Telemetry will show it.

> A new finding (and work-around) is that if we drag local folders to the
> mail server having issues, the folders copy.  The problem exists from
> server to server (same versions and all).   So our work-around is to
> copy the one server's folders to the local disk and then over to the new
> server.

Sounds like there's an ImapUTF-7 encoding/decoding issue - probably not
re-encoding the value for one end.

Bron.