reconstruct: Authoritative ACL?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 27 07:21:29 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:18:00PM +0100, Torsten Schlabach wrote:
> Hi!
>
>  >> I can imagine situations where this is not what you want.
>  >
>  > I can't.  Please share a couple.
>
> If they are currupted for whatever reason?

50/50 chance that one or the other is corrupted, of course.  Assuming
that you haven't done anything clever like hand copy a cyrus.header
from the wrong directory in (in which case the UniqueId is broken
anyway, so all bets are off)

(and assuming the corruption didn't bother the magic at the start of
the file, without which reconstruct will ignore it)

> I mean, by the books, reconstruct is a utility which you should not
> need, because if nothing ever goes wrong, you will never have a need to
> reconstruct mailboxes.

Yeah, pretty much - which is why you'll see some diffs in the current
CVS where I've put in logging options to let you know if they found
anything that needed fixing...

> Also if I follow the subject recently discussed in a thread here, which
> basically says: "Hands off the files, if you need to move things around,
> do it through IMAP" you could argue that you shouldn't need the -f
> switch as well.

Strictly it's "if you don't understand what's going on really very
quite well, you'll just make yourself more hurt.  Here's the way
that actually keeps things sane".

Now, there's restoring from backups.  I still use reconstruct for that
at the moment because I can't be arsed building a full index file
reconstruction toolkit.  But I'll probably fix that one day.  It's
annoying that we're losing seen state.  Though seen state sucks.
Seen state for the OWNER of the mailbox should be stored in the
cyrus.index file anyway - it's the 99.9999% case.  Worth optimising.
Bloody seen files.  </rant>

> Would it hurt to have a finer grain control of how reconstruct works?

No, probably not.  We're just jumping on your "can imagine situations"
which basically boils down to "I've munted my files".

Bron ( but then our "FixUser" tool resets the ACLs just after
       reconstructing the mailboxes anyway, so I wouldn't notice
       either way )