Replication rolling or cron?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sat Feb 21 02:28:49 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:21:38PM -0500, Wesley Craig wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2009, at 12:00, Shelley Waltz wrote:
> > I can get things working with a reboot, however, this is disruptive.
> > Question is - should I abandon rolling and just force a replication
> > via a
> > cron job every 10 min?  I have low volume and only 200 accounts.
> >
> > Does anyone have a monitoring script or a script to run sync_client
> > by cron?
>
> Running sync_client out of cyrus.conf is a mistake.  It can be
> started stand-alone, and that's the best way to do it.  If it dies,
> review why it died, fix whatever problems the review reveals, and
> restart just sync_client.  Rolling replication is better than simply
> running sync_client from cron.

We should probably document that...

(at FastMail we start it from cyrus.conf, but also have a job that
runs from cron and checks that there's a sync_client running every 10
minutes.  It also runs any log_$pid files that are lying around in
the sync directory without a matching pid (to clean up from failures)
and emails us about anything it had to do.  We run a separate task that
counts up the number of bytes in all files in the sync directory and
emails us if it goes over 100kb - about 15 minutes worth, and shows
up in status commands if it gets above 10kb)

> My other bit of advice is to upgrade.  2.3.7 has a lot of replication
> problems.  Many, many of the changes that have happened since 2.3.7
> are improvements to replication.

Yes, definitely, and there will probably be a 2.3.14 soonish, once I
get around to harassing Ken about it and double-checking the bugzilla
for blockers.

(I don't consider non-regression bugs to be a release blocker.  We
can always do another release once they're fixed)

Bron.