Setting Up of IMAP Server

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Dec 11 09:30:32 EST 2009

--On 11 December 2009 18:30:47 +0530 prasanna <prasannap at cdac.in> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I setting up a Mail server for my company.  I have installed Postfix, it
> is working fine.  I am confused to choose a IMAP server. Some of my
> requirements are
>
>     1) Users are created using /etc/passwd, No Mysql or LDAP at present.
>     2) User should be given quota for their INBOX, selected users should
>     have unlimited or variable quota
>     3) Quota exceeded users mails should be stored somewhere other than
>     their inbox, on request from the user should be delivered to them by
>     increasing their quota for time being.
>     4) Web based Management of User.
>     5) Backup option of user mailbox  should be available.
>     Do all my requirement can be met by cyrus imap server??
> If yes, can you provide me the links to met the above requirements

Cyrus IMAP can do (1) and (2)

(3) Your MTA (Postfix) should queue messages for delivery, and you should
be able to deliver them on demand after fixing a quota problem. That's how
I work, but using Exim as the MTA.

(4) Cyrus doesn't have web based user management. However, you don't really
need that. Cyrus IMAP will create a mailbox if you try to deliver email to
a new user. Make sure that Postfix rejects email for unknown users, and
you'll be fine.  There may be third party solutions for deleting users,
managing quotas, and so on. The usual thing is to use a command line tool.

(5) You can use your regular file system backup tools to back up Cyrus-IMAP
mailboxes. Emails are stored in separate files, so incremental backups are
very efficient. It's possible to use delayed expunge to ensure that all
emails are backed up, even if they arrive and are deleted between
incremental backups.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex