cyrus replication over a WAN

Robert Mueller (web) robm at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 9 11:08:26 EST 2009

I just wanted to check if any people have any experience or reports
about doing cyrus replication over a WAN?

A few potential issues spring to mind:

1. I know the replication protocol is pretty "chatty", so does the
higher latency over a WAN (ms vs us) cause it to get behind more
regularly?
2. The protocol uses more bandwidth than really needed, has that caused
unexpected bandwidth usage problems?
3. A WAN isn't nearly as reliable as a local connection. If you're over
a VPN, and the connection goes down for a minute and then comes back,
does that confuse the sync_client, or does it tend to just continue and
work?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Rob
Rob Mueller