Intermittent Sending Auth Problem

Cliff Hayes chayes at afo.net
Fri Dec 4 11:03:51 EST 2009

Hello,

We have 3200 users.
I have recently upgraded our sendmail server to Fedora 11 using saslauthd
2.1.22.
Since upgrading, users randomly and intermittently experience sending auth
failures.  The user will attempt to send, and will get a box requesting
username/password.  service saslauthd restart solves the problem.
There are no log entries when this occurs.

Here are relevant sendmail.mc entries:

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
PLAIN')dnl

Here are /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd entries:

SOCKETDIR=/var/run/saslauthd
MECH=pam

Here is output of saslauthd -v:

saslauthd 2.1.22
authentication mechanisms: getpwent kerberos4 kerberos5 pam rimap shadow
ldap

I have another box with Fedora 12 and it has saslauthd version 2.1.23.  It's
not a live box so I don't know if it would have the same problem.  I did a
yum update on the live box and it did not show an update for saslauthd so I
don't know what the deal is.

Any help with this would be appreciated :)

Thanks,

Cliff