What's the message's UID in the message storage of cyrus imapd.

Penghui Wang wangpenghui at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 11:36:21 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Adam Tauno Williams <
awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:

> > For instance, if i have two subfolder in the INBOX. Is it possible
> > that the same UID of message appeared in both of the two folders.
> > In another word, the sequence number based on folder or mail account?
>
> Folder,  a believe the uniqueness of the UID is to the folder scope.
>
> I remember once seeing something about the ability to generate UUIDs
> [was that Cyrus or something else?] but I don't know how to turn that
> on/off.
>
> > I wanna do some archiving operations on the filesystem level.
>
> Ugh, I'd advise against it.  Why not do them on the 'protocol' level?
> That certainly makes the archives easier to use.

Thanks very much for your advice. If this task could handled in the protocol
level. That should be great.

Here are what i wanna do:
Some mail clients has the feature to archive the messages by date. For
instance, they could create a mail folder named by the month such as 2009-08
each month.
I wanna do this operation on the server side. So i have to created the
folder then find all the message in this month then move all of them to the
new folder.

But i am not sure the protocol operations if i don't know the password of
every account. If i wanna do this via Perl, do you have some good idea?

Regards,

Penghui Wang