What's the message's UID in the message storage of cyrus imapd.

Penghui Wang wangpenghui at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 11:05:47 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Adam Tauno Williams <adam at morrison-ind.com
> wrote:

> > In the document of cyrus imapd package, there are something describe
> > the message files in the message storage.
> > message files
> >         There is one file per message, containing the message in RFC
> >         822 format. Lines in the message are separated by CRLF, not
> >         just LF. The file name of each message is the message's UID
> >         followed by a dot (.).
> > I have googled for a while, but have got anything useful to explain
> > what is the message's UID.
>
> A unique id;  it appears to pretty much be a sequence number.  It has no
> significance or relevance except as the id of the message AFAIK.

Thanks very much for your quick response.

For instance, if i have two subfolder in the INBOX. Is it possible that the
same UID of message appeared in both of the two folders.
In another word, the sequence number based on folder or mail account?

I wanna do some archiving operations on the filesystem level. So i have to
deal with the message files stored in the mailboxes.

Regards,

Penghui Wang.