Cyrus administration problem

Nybbles2Byte nybbles2byte at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 16:27:55 EDT 2009

Hello ,

I'm getting a little desperate here so I'm hoping someone can answer these two question for me. I originally asked them as "How to use global admin. & virtual domains?" but no-one responded and I have no answers myself, so please, even if this seems like a stupid question because I am missing the obvious, please let me know!

In essence, I'm trying to use a global admin. with virtual domains and it doesn't seem to be working. With domain admins. there is no problem.

From what I can see, part of the documentation says that with virtual hosting that every user must have a domain and another part says when using virtual domains use a user without a domain to create a global domain.

Could someone please tell/show me what I am missing here in my attempts to make a global admin. work with virtual domains.

To see what I am experiencing, here's the results of two different ways of using cyradm I have tried:

Scenario 1:

>cyradm -u root
cyradm> lm *@seowebsales.com
listmailbox: no connection to server
cyradm>

Doesn't look up the SQL Database for authentication hence the response "no connection to server".

Scenario 2:

>cyradm -u root domain1.com
Password:
IMAP Password:
Login failed: authentication failure at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 119
cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with as root

Here it does try to authenticate however, when watching the MySQL query log it chooses a virtual domain at random from the virtual domains from Apache or my local DNS server.  If it happens to use the domain that I want to administrate, then it succeeds instead of fails as it did in the case above.

Other than wanting to know how to get a global admin. working with virtual domains I would really appreciate someone helping me understand this issue of it randomly picking a virtual domain from Apache or my DNS (not sure which) to try and authenticate with.

Thanks so much to anyone who sheds some light on this!

Reggie.

Here is my imap.conf file:

# OS OpenSuSE 11.0
# Cyrus IMAPD 2.3.11
# Cyrus-SASL 2.1.22

#
# Cyrus-SASL options
#
sasl_auxprop_plugin: sql
sasl_log_level: 7
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5
sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
sasl_sql_hostnames: localhost
sasl_sql_user: cyrus
sasl_sql_passwd: **************
sasl_sql_database: system_mail
sasl_sql_select: SELECT `password` FROM `accounts` WHERE `user`='%u' AND `realm`='%r' AND `virtual` != 0
sasl_sql_insert: INSERT INTO `accounts` (`user`, `realm`, `password`) VALUES ('%u', '%r', '%v')
sasl_sql_update: UPDATE `accounts` SET `user`='%u',`realm`='%r',`password`='%v' WHERE `user`='%u' AND `realm`='%r'

#
# Cyrus-IMAP Options
#
admins: cyrus root root at domain1.com root at domain2.com root at domain3.com